Are we obsessed with Klout score?

Klout score has been very popular between social media enthusiasts (just like me) for some time now, as it becomes a way to measure our influence through social networks. Although its measuring criteria are questionned, it is still considered a useful tool for many social media addicts, marketers, and employers.

What's more, Klout fills our need to rank ourselves and our influence, anticipating every day to see whether we have improved on the scale. It's like ratings on TV and sales on magazines. Once you start, you can't ignore it anymore. That's why I am checking my Klout score every day, checking my profile analysis, even though I'm not really sure of its usefulness. We all know that it does not reflect our total social media presence, but can you ignore it? Can you check your score for once and never do it again? It's addictive!

Analytics are part of our lives. If it wasn't for Klout, we would be checking different rankings. Maybe we need a better measurement of our social media presence, but we surely want to have one!

*If you want to read more about Klout score and its meaning, check Wired's interesting article What Your Klout Score Really Means
** Gina Carr also wrote about Klout and what counts on our score on What does Klout Count when they Compute Your Klout Score?
*** What's your Klout score? 
**** I told you, I'm checking my Klout every day. Why not help each other? +K me 
Source

5 comments:

  1. I have no need to rank myself or whatever influence I might have earned over 40 years in business. I truly don't care. I look at it from time to time, my Klout score, only because it gives me a good reason to chuckle out loud.

    If one does a consistently good job and makes a good living doing something they love, ranking becomes irrelevant, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, of course. I just didn't know since recently that there are employers out there that consider Klout more important than experience through the years. Let's hope they are not many!

      Delete
    2. They are also not anyone you would want to work for...

      Delete
  2. Tereza you're right. That's the trick of something which don't even know what influence is, but is try to imposing as a measure of influence. The best choiche was don by those who canceled from it so the get out od the adictive spyral. about the measurement I still considering Brian Solis study opf few month ago a masterpiece which will allow us to get rid of this klout drug

    ReplyDelete